Sunday, July 10, 2011

Adventures in Tooth Brushing

Well we had our first accident in Costa Rica already and it happened on the first night. Remember me saying being nervous about my adventurous Haley? Well apparently I have to watch out for her in the room too. We were brushing teeth and she was done with hers and needed to rinse. Being the independent two year old she is, she decided rather than wait on us she would pull over a wastebasket to use as a stool like we have at home. I have to give her credit for being creative but didn't think it totally through. The basket broke causing her to fall through it and she started wailing. She isn't a big cryer so I picked her up and examined her legs thinking they were cut up. They had a few scratches but nothing she would usually whine over. I figured maybe it was because it had been such a long day and went to just hug her. That is when I noticed blood pouring out of her mouth. I opened it looking at all her teeth and bottom lip and couldn't find anything but the blood wouldn't stop. Sean said maybe it was her tongue and when I looked at it I about passed out. Whitney then being our sensitive little girl starting crying louder than Haley which just escalated everything as we tried to calm both of them down and stop the blood. We finally got it stopped and took her up to the union to see about ice. By then she was acting fine and was able to drink some ice water. We were told to keep it as clean as possible but thankfully it is one of the fastest healing parts of the body. We are watching for infection of course but it doesn't seem to phase her much today. Of course I didn't sleep much thinking about swelling tongues and my sweet baby with a piece of her missing. This morning she was typical Haley running around talking and licking the jam off her toast. God sure gave us one tough little girl! Be praying that it continues to heal and doesn't get infected. Sure it will just be one of the many many stories we have to tell!

No comments: